Installing the Framework 3.0 Eclipse Plugin
Downloading and Installing Eclipse
Download and Install Java JDK 6.0 from http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp
To download and install Eclipse:
- Download the most recent version of Eclipse from the Eclipse IDE for Java Developers webpage (http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/index.php.) to your desktop.
- Extract the Eclipse .zip file to a new directory (c:\eclipse). Eclipse will run from this directory.
Check for Java JDK 6.0
As JDK 6.0 was installed before Eclipse, Eclipse should be configured to run with JDK 6.0 automatically on startup. However, if JDK 6.0 is not installed on your system or was installed incorrectly, Eclipse will not be configured to run with JDK 6.0 and you will not be able to build Framework projects with Eclipse. To verify the JDK 6.0 installation:
- Run Eclipse.
- Select Window > Preferences. The Preferences window will open.
In the left pane, select Java > Installed JREs. In the Installed JREs pane, there should be an entry called jre 1.6.0_x, where x is the release number of the installed JDK 6.0 package. As shown below in figure 1.
Figure 1: The Preferences Window
- Click OK.
Set Compiler Compliance Level to 6.0
To set the compiler compliance level to 6.0:
- From the main Eclipse menu bar select Window > Preferences.
- In the left pane, select Java > Compiler.
- In the Compiler compliance level menu, select 6.0, as shown below in figure 2.
Figure 2: Setting the Compiler Compliance Level
- Click OK
Installing the Framework Plugin
To install the Framework plugin:
- Select Help > Software Updates > Find and Install. The Install/Update window will open.
- Select Search for new features to install and click Next. The Install window will open, as shown below in figure
Figure 3: The Install Window
- Click New Remote Site. The Edit Remote Site window will open.
- In the Name field, enter Fdata.
- In the URL field, enter http://download.foundationdms.com/plugins/3.0/eclipse/site.xml.
- Click OK. The site Fdata will now be included in the Sites to include in search field, as shown below in figure 4. Select Fdata and click Finish. The Updates window will open.
Figure 4: The Install Window with Fdata
- Select Fdata and click Next. The feature license will display.
- Read the license agreements. If you accept the terms of the license agreements, select I accept the terms of the license agreement and click Next. A summary of the features to be installed will open.
- Click Finish. The Framework plugin will download.
- Select Install All to install the Framework plugin. When the plugin has installed, you will be prompted to restart Eclipse. Click Yes to restart Eclipse.
Verifying the Framework Plugin Installation
To verify that the Framework plugin is installed:
- Select File > New > Project. The New Project window will open, as shown below in figure 5. If the Framework plugin is correctly installed, there will be a Fdata folder containing a Framework Project wizard.
Figure 5: The New Project Window
If you have any problems installing the Framework 3.0 plugin for Eclipse, email: firstname.lastname@example.org